Position Title: Head Ceramicist
Position Status: Full-Time (40hr/wk), Permanent
Submit your Application: firstname.lastname@example.org
LOAM Clay studio is a growing ceramic centre in Hintonburg, an Ottawa neighbourhood known for its vibrant arts community. The studio offers all levels of pottery classes and studio space for independent work.
LOAM offers a fertile environment where potters come to learn, explore, create and collaborate. LOAM is a studio with supportive and knowledgeable staff who all share a passion for pottery and the ceramic arts. We strive to foster excellence in all aspects of pottery; instruction, design & craftsmanship.
What is a Head Ceramicist?
As the business is growing rapidly, the Head Ceramicist will have an opportunity to define business direction. It will require a motivated individual who can efficiently manage the behind the scenes, technical aspects of pottery for our classes and members, instructing and sharing their knowledge to support others clay journey.
What would I be doing?
- Assess Studio Potters needs and develop programming (skill building workshops, masterclass opportunities) to encourage a culture of growth
- Teaching and answering potter’s questions on a variety of techniques and troubleshooting issues
- Monitoring class work and ensuring it is ready for trimming & glazing
- Firing, loading and unloading kilns
- Kiln repairs, changing elements
- Developing and mixing glazes
- Making slips and underglaze
- Very strong throwing & trimming abilities
- Working with plaster, making bats and molds
- Reclaiming clay
- Upholding studio guidelines with members
- Assess inventory for ordering
- Opportunities collaborate with ongoing clients to design and develop their vision for commission work as well as with our sister studio Fogo Clay Studio
What skills do I need to have?
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, able to provide direction clearly to students with different learning styles
- Knowledge and expertise in ceramics including technical experience
- Creativity and eagerness to grow your knowledge and sharing knowledge with others
- Strong ability to prioritize effectively and multitasking
- Problem solving and ability to work independently
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs at one time for moving materials including clay
- Positive mindset and eagerness to contribute and make an impact
Interested applicants should send their CV and digital portfolio or website to email@example.com
The salary will be based on experience within the range of $40,000 - $65,000 annually.
LOAM is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, we will make accommodations available during the recruitment process to applicants with disabilities.